Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Social Networking and Privacy

I used to go on social networking sites a lot, but now I have made a decision to limit my visits on these sites. After an incident wherein I got into an argument with one my friends, he used Twitter as a way of airing out his "grievances". I was so surprised one day when I saw foul remarks directed at me through Twitter. I was angry because a private matter was brought out in public space. This made me feel awkward and vulnerable to the rest of my social circle who could see the hate posts.

I don't know if this is the same case with America, but coming from the Philippines where people shy away from confrontation, Twitter has evolved as a way to release hate and other negative emotions. When Twitter and other Web 2.0 technologies (status update, etc.) intersect with Filipino culture, social networking used in this context has the potential to ruin relationships and create dysfunctional and addictive behaviors. I think that this is not much of a problem in America, because I believe that most people here mean what they say and say what they mean. However, in the Philippines where most people don't say what they mean and mean what they say, social networking becomes detrimental to relationships. Moreover, Philippine culture also thrives on gossip, so the issues of stalking and privacy are all the more important.

What I have realized is that there is a cultural dimension to social networking. People tend to use these digital technologies as an extension of their cultural views. For America, maybe social networking has a positive effect since it is within an atmosphere of democracy and individualism. However, in a country where colonial and crab mentality is prevalent, it is safer to just stay away or limit activity in these networks.

I believe that FaceBook and other social networking sites also acts as a means of social control. Because we want to project an image of ourselves in these social networking sites to an intended audience, it serves to regulate our actions and activities. In the Philippines where there is a conformist culture, I feel constricted in my actions because I know that whatever I post there will be viewed by my contacts. If I do anything that doesn't conform to Philippine culture, I risk being called a social deviant and be cast out from my social circle. I really do feel the weight of constantly being watched in FaceBook.

I have realized that when culture intersects with technology, you don’t really know what will happen. In America, where there is true democracy and individualism, social networking is a viable means of communication. However, in countries like the Philippines where social networking is used to send out indirect messages to others, release negative emotions and retain the conformist culture, it tends to complicate relationships and only serves to foster dysfunctional behaviors (ex. Being non-confrontational, being passive-aggressive, backstabbing, etc.).

As a result of the incident in Twitter, I have become more aware regarding the cultural practices of Filipinos on social networking sites. To avoid these things from happening in the future, I have chosen to limit my activity on these sites to the bare minimum. I also don’t post anything that will be subject to scrutiny of my social circle back home.

1 comment:

  1. I have never thought that culture influenced what someone might put on their sites. I mean I personally am careful as to what I put up on my facebook because I have some family members as friends, but it's not to the point where I would be a social outcast for posting something that I wanted people to see. If I were in that position, I would probably avoid having a facebook or Twitter account. It would even be difficult for me to post something on a friend's wall if consequences were as high as you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete